Friday, April 18, 2014
You hear this from me a lot, take time for yourself. So have you? With our schedules so busy, and the feeling of having to get everything done, its a wonder we forget to stop and take time for ourselves.
I shared some easy recipes with you this week and some ideas of dry brushing as I have focused on self, and getting ready for spring, and spring allergies. At Metta Spa, Ayurveda is the controlling factor of my space, how we eat, sleep, exercise, and so on, so my goal is to share with you every week easy tips to add into your daily life to find balance.
So as we go off for this long weekend, many of you will have Good Friday off along with Easter Monday, so I am sharing a real easy wake your skin up recipe. We found this one to work great is you make it the night before and use it in the morning.
Wake Up Coffee Facial:
1/3 cup base oil, almond,sesame or coconut
1 tsp organic honey
1 1/2 tsp coffee grounds(use the ones from your morning coffee)
Add everything together and mix, you can add essential oils to this also, like lemon,wild orange grapefruit all good for uplifting.
Gently exfoliate with the coffee scrub, add more oil if needed. Play around with the essential oils, enjoy the different smells and feelings that they can bring.
Pick the base oil that is right for you , if you need cooling go with coconut, relaxing or balanced go with sesame, if your skin is dry try the almond oil.
You can't go wrong when you take the time for yourself..So weather it's coming in for an Ayurvedic treatment, creating something good to eat in the kitchen or just going for a walk, take time for yourself.
.find us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Mettaspa
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Pumpkin Chia Pudding
So I found this recipe, and as many of you know I deal with food allergies, so I am always looking for great food ideas - since stopping at the grocery store and just picking up any snack, would not be the ideal way for me to go.
So I search, and try new recipes all the time, and then tweak them to work for me, the kids and my partner.
We found a great chia recipe in one of my Ayurveda cookbooks a few months ago, and when someone shared this pumpkin one, we tried, made a few adjustments(more like added into), and have fallen in love with the ease of this late morning-mid afternoon snack.
PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Protein Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding
We always start by making the recipe the way it calls, then add or take away what we don't need, write it down on our recipe for next time and we are good. This one, we really had no need for changing, I did add a little more milk the second time, and since then have made it with cacao powder and banana(as an addition too) , and this weekend we are trying it with cranberries and almonds.
Food should be fun, and trying new things, adding new things, sometimes it works out great, and other times not as well, so write notes, try new things, and always enjoy..
Friday, April 11, 2014
April is a great time of the year, weather is changing, flowers are starting to pop up, and that means allergies.So this question has come up several times in the last few weeks about Oil-Pulling, perfect timing, because it goes along with the seasons and helps in so many ways including allergies.So what does Ayurveda thinks of it , how it works, and where to start, lets tackle oil pulling today.
First "What is oil-pulling?
First "What is oil-pulling?
- A little background on oil-pulling:Ayurveda is a time tested, 5,000 year old traditional based; all natural healing. With Ayurveda comes many methods of keeping the body in balance through meditation, yoga, massage, daily routine and yes one is oil-pulling. Ayurveda has many modalities all to achieve health, working to maintain a healthy balanced body, mind and spirit.
- So what is oil-pulling? Simply put, part of the Ayurveda morning ritual to wake up and flush toxins and bacteria out of the body.Oil-pulling has a powerful detoxifying effect,you are pulling out the bacteria in the mouth with oil.
- Brightens and whitens teeth
- healthy gums - helping with bad breath
- increasing energy
- decreasing headaches
- better sleep
- clearing sinuses and mucus
- alleviating allergies
- helps clear skin
Oil-pulling is a great way to start your morning off feeling clean and refreshed, the first few days may seem difficult or uncomfortable, just stick with it, at the end of the week you will feel the difference. Oil-Pulling is a simple yet powerful way to effect your everyday just by starting your morning off it. So if you add if to your morning for whiter teeth or clear your sinuses to help with allergies, stick with it for at least one month, give it a chance to work for you.
- Start with a warm/room temperature glass of water
- Tbsp organic coconut oil(melted) or organic sesame oil,
- Note on oils: pick your oil by the weather and your dosha, coconut is ideal for pitta types, sesame and /or olive for vata and/or kapha type
- Swish the oil around in your moth - 15-20mins, make sure you are relaxing the mouth. You may find this part tough at the beginning but stick with it.
- After 2mins, spit the oil out, in the trash, compost or outside( its great if you get out and take a walk while oil-pulling).
- Swish another glass of water around in your mouth, and spit out.
- After oil-pulling you should brush our teeth and do a tongue scraping (Promo code mettaspa10 when ordering). Tongue scraping removes the oils and bacteria left behind while waking up the digestive fires.
Ayurveda has many way to work with the body, and each person to create a balanced lifestyle. Taking a few ideas from Ayurveda and adding them to your daily routine will help you to find your own balance. Metta Spa is a great place to start on your journey or find tips or ideas to create a balanced mind body and spirit.
Friday, April 4, 2014
Do you know the powerful benefits to an Ayurveda Shirodhara?
The Shirodhara will also balance your life energy and stimulate your third eye(located in the center of the forehead above the brows,known as self-reflection).The Shirodhara can do many incredible things for the mind body and spirit connection
At Metta Spa we offer the Shirodhara along with other Ayurvedic treatments to help you on your journey to a balanced. Through the month of April Metta Spa is offering a special on the Shirodhara along with the Abhyanga Shirodhara, so if you have never had the chance to have this treatment, now is the time.
Massage * Ayurveda * Welness